Monday, September 30, 2013

mini.victories

disclaimer - i had intended on posting more frequently than i have been on this food journey but just finding the time has been difficult. hopefully i'll do better. (:

this past weekend was awesome! i was coming out of a rut of not getting my butt to the gym and completed a double whammy on saturday with strength training at 7am with my fitness ladies group which we celebrated with post-workout protein shakes afterwards before going back and surviving the intense charity bootcamp luka @ vigor ground hosted. 

my mini-victory was being able to finally lift the barbell over my head for a squat thrust! may sound lame since it's only 45 lb but i just didn't have the upper body strength i used to have anymore. since the beginning of our 12 week fitness program, i used dumbbells of 15 lbs or 20 lbs (per side) to do my squat thrusts while all the other ladies used the barbell with extra weights! i felt defeated and weak but i had to remember it's about progress, not perfection. any-hoo, during our complex between exercises, one of the fabulous ladies i work out with and am inspired by, jojo told me that i can tackle the barbell today. i told her i would try on the last set, just to see what my progress was. i'll admit, i was getting nervous as i approached my last set and was almost tempted to chicken out and grab the dumbells i've been using. then jojo saw me and said "jessica, you're going to lift the barbell!" since the barbells had extra weight on them from the other ladies, i went to our coach mz. dee and asked her if i could try the barbell today. she quickly gave me a hug and said that i was cute for asking and helped me get ready. deep breath in and with my core engaged, i did it! i lifted the barbell for my squat thrusts to finish the set and the ladies all cheered me on. definitely my mini victory!


No comments:

Post a Comment